Refugee Support - Young Refugee Project Volunteer (ESOL - Islington - Q2-48f)
British Red Cross volunteers help thousands of refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants every year enabling people to draw upon their own strengths to withstand crisis and rebuild their lives.
Our Young Refugee Project Volunteers work with vulnerable young refugees who are children and young people aged 15 - 25 seeking safety in the UK.
As a Young Refugee Project Volunteer you will be involved in a range of activities helping children and young people integrating into the UK to navigate their local area, develop skills to cope with their situation and to find a way forward.
This role is to support ESOL classes (English to Speakers of Other Languages). You will have experience in teaching, tutoring or mentoring young people.
You will be able to volunteer:
- on Thursdays 5:30-8:30pm
- for at least 6 months
- Attend Planning Meetings at the beginning of each term
What you will be doing;
- Tutoring beginner to intermediate level ESOL to young people in a group setting
- Offering study support to young people with English and Maths
- Providing support and being a role model to young people
- helping to improve language skills through activities and group games
- Collating resources for learning and educational activities.
- Evaluate study materials, and progression tools and offer creative ways to continually develop these.
- Providing feedback to young people
We would be particularly interested to hear from you if you have experience of being a refugee or asylum seeker.
Health and Safety Statement
We take an individual approach to ensuring your safety.
We may ask you to complete a simple risk assessment. We will also have a conversation with you to discuss any restrictions that may still be in place in your region and identify any adjustments you may need.