Refugee Support - Project Volunteer (Family Reunion Coffee Morning - Sheffield)
Would you like to help newly-arrived women to draw on their own strengths to cope and rebuild their lives in the UK?
The British Red Cross is a volunteer led organisation and the UK’s largest independent provider of services and support for refugees and people seeking asylum.
We are looking for enthusiastic and empathetic volunteers who will use a professional approach to support the Family Reunion team in running a coffee morning. Our aim is to create a safe, fun and welcoming environment for women to relax, socialise and learn more about their new city.
We plan to run a wide range of cultural and creative activities, as well as some awareness sessions at our Sheffield office. It will be a new project so the format of the coffee morning is flexible and evolving. We are looking to our clients to help us understand how they'd like to use the coffee mornings.
As a volunteer, you will be part of a collaborative planning process to make sure we offer something meaningful to those we work with. You will also help to facilitate the coffee mornings and play an active part in the sessions.
Typical tasks will include:
- Assisting the Project Coordinator with the logistical set up of the sessions.
- Helping to facilitate sessions and activities (including time for preparations and de-briefs).
- Working collaboratively to assist in shaping the project on an ongoing basis.
- Actively participating in group work and providing one-to-one support to our clients.
- Supporting clients to develop their knowledge and skills and helping to celebrate their achievements.
- Providing support with administrative tasks, (e.g., registering clients).
We would like you to:
- Volunteer every Tuesday from 10:00 until 13:00
- Volunteer for at least 12 months
We would be particularly interested to hear from you if you have lived experience of migration and family reunion. The ability to speak one of the following languages is highly desirable: Amharic, Urdu, Pashto, Tigrinya.
We're sorry but at present, we can only accept applications from females who are over the age of 18, due to the nature of the client group we are supporting. Please check our website for more opportunities in your area.
Diversity is something we celebrate, and we want you to be able to bring your authentic self to the Red Cross. We want you to feel that you are in an inclusive environment, and a great position to help us spread the power of kindness.
Health and Safety Statement
We take an individual approach to ensuring your safety.
We may ask you to complete a simple risk assessment and will also have a conversation with you to discuss and identify any adjustments you may need.
If you have any questions before applying, please contact us at email@example.com